You may remember that late last year we held a competition in conjunction with Auckland Transport to suggest and vote on some quick and easy ideas. The idea that achieved the most votes (28) was about opening up real time data to developers.
Well the fantastic news is that it’s going to happen. AT have been creating APIs for many of their data streams are going to open then up a civic hackathon they will be hosting called HACKAKL: Transport. It appears to be intended to be the first step for Auckland in opening up increasing amounts of civic data.
Welcome to HACKAKL:Transport, Auckland’s first civic hacking event. This is an open invitation to designers, software developers, architects, activists, innovators or anyone who wants to be involved to participate in a weekend of ‘hacking for good’.
In what we hope is the first of many, this event seeks to establish a community of innovators and developers who are interested in making an ongoing contribution to civic solutions that leverage open government data, from both regional and national sources. This is about thinking differently and leveraging the power of a community and creative problem solving.
If we are successful, not only will we have some cool ideas and creative solutions, but more importantly, we will have formed a community (HACKAKL) within a community (Auckland and New Zealand) that is willing to own the ‘civic hacking for good’ agenda going forward.
To give us some focus, the theme for this inaugural event is transport. Take a look at the challenges page for inspiration on the types of problems we could help solve. Keep visiting this page as we will continue to provide more information to contextualise the issues as we are approved to share it.
The mission of this weekend is multifaceted. Our goals include:
- Providing an opportunity for personal development and network building
- Enabling innovation for greater good
- Support the evolution and democratisation of open government data
- Supporting the government STEM agenda – Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Creating a new community and its self governance going forward
This event is for and about those that participate. You can choose to take a known challenge or render your own solution based on the data sets you think will bring value to the wider community in some new useful form.
They’ve also created a series of challenges they’re hoping to solve.
- Intuitive journey planning that allows users to leave at the last minute and navigate while on the move
- The relationship between public transport and attractions/destinations
- Ease of use for first time users and tourists
- User loyalty and gamification of public transport
- The linkage of walking, cycling and public transport as part of an overall journey
- Helping commuters compare real costs of driving vs public transport
- Journey safety
Walking and cycling
- Journey planning
- Safe routes
- Promotion of cycling and walking as an alternative to driving
- Linkages with public transport
- User awareness of parking restrictions and cost in any given location
- Availability and demand management
- Journey planning and congestion
- Roadworks and disruptions
I’m really looking forward to seeing some of the neat ideas you developers can come up with.
So if you’re interested go and register at http://hackakl.org.nz/
Oh and good on AT for doing this.