AT have linked through to an interview that their Chief Operating Officer has conducted around public transport in Auckland and some of the measures AT are taking around it. Much is stuff we already know but there are a few extra bits of information that are interesting.
Some of the things I picked up are:
- AT HOP on Buses will roll out from April and take 3-4 months
- Integrated zone based fares will take roughly an extra year after that as AT works through the various associated with it. He also suggests Ferries will come under the zonal based system.
- We knew that Manukau was planned to be gated in a couple of moths but he is suggesting that New Lynn will be done now too, previously AT had just said they were going to consider it.
- The new penalty fares that have just been introduced are going to be increased from $10.30 to $20 in April in advance of legislation to allow for fines to be issued.
- There is a budget set aside this year for more improvement in the real time system.
- Interestingly he suggests that the Harbour crossing will start in 2015/16. That is the first time we have heard that and pretty worrying considering how bad the project is (that is unless they plan to do a PT only crossing first).