The PT stats for August are out ahead of next weeks board meeting (thanks AT, please keep this up). The numbers over the coming months in particular are going to very interesting to see just what impact was made by the RWC last year but more on that shortly. First up, following on from the post this morning, cycling numbers continue to grow strongly with the total number of trips recorded in August up about 7% on the same time last year with the morning peak movements up about 9% indicating that a higher percentage of the growth is coming from people ditching their cars for commuting. Of course these numbers are only from a few monitoring sites but still it is great to see. I’m not a big fan of the way AT shows their cycling graph so I have made my own based on data that they have been providing in their recent reports. There is still a few months from last year missing but they will be filled in over the next few months but to me this better shows the changes.
Once we get those last few months of data we will also be able to start seeing a 12 month rolling figure which will be good (AT if you read this please feel free to email me the missing data).
Moving on to the actual PT stuff, here are what AT say are the highlights:
- Auckland public transport patronage totalled 71,602,296 passengers for the 12-months to August 2012 an increase of 4,900,509 boardings or +7.3%.
- August monthly patronage was 6,557,832 a decrease of -32,251 boardings or -0.5% on August 2011. Adjusting for estimated additional patronage for Rugby World Cup (RWC2011), patronage growth was +5.7%
- Rail patronage totalled 10,932,819 passengers for the 12-months to August 2012, an increase of 838,776 boardings or +8.3%.
- Rail monthly patronage for August is 987,526 a decrease of -45,681 boardings or -4.4% on August 2011. Adjusting for estimated additional patronage for RWC2011, rail patronage growth between August 2011 was +7.5%
- Northern Express bus service carried 2,281,389 passenger trips for the 12-months with a growth to August 2012, an increase of 165,622 boardings or +7.8%
- Northern Express bus service patronage for August is 217,945, a decrease of -5,631 boardings or -2.5% in August 2011. Adjusting for estimated RWC2011, patronage growth was +6.6%.
And the normal tables and graphs
And here is that table adjusted for the RWC patronage
Now I must say, I’m a bit sceptical of the claim that RWC patronage was the cause here as the tournament didn’t start till the 9th of September so some more light shed on how it impacted PT stats a month earlier that would be good. Despite the impact the RWC will have on the numbers, I’m particularly looking forward to seeing what happens with the rail numbers over the coming months as integrated ticketing rolls out. I really suspect we could see a bit of a jump purely from the fact we are counting things better.