Over at the Campaign for Better Transport forum, “kaiwhara” has noted a few things that could end up becoming part of a new train timetable from October onwards:
- No ADL’s on weekdays will go south of Manukau.
- Of the 5 sets that run peak time Manukau services, 2 are 4 car sets, one being an ADK, the other a pair of ADL’s. The 8:08 and 8:28 arrivals into Britomart will be an ADK and ADL4 respectively. Manukau trains will operate a clockface timetable in peak periods every 20 minutes. The two Newmarket services from Manukau will no longer run.
- A number of existing empty trains have been converted to Services.
- Pukekohe trains off peak will become an Hourly service – all off peak services to Pukekohe will be operated by SA’s.
- The SX utilisation will go up significantly, with the set running two return services to Pukekohe in the morning, and a round trip to Papakura in the evening.
- Limited Stop services are withdrawn, however frequency from Papakura has increased slightly in the same time period.
- The gaps between Pukekohe services in the Afternoon Peak have been reduced.
- 2 ADL’s and an ADK will return to Westfield during the day – currently none do this. However a couple extra SA sets will remain on the road – this will likely require overnight refueling at Henderson and Papakura.
- Off Peak Manukau and Onehunga services remain at Hourly Frequencies. While the wait at Manukau has unfortunately been retained, both routes have been retimed to be more sensibly placed at junctions.
- Several of the first and last trains have been removed. The 5:20 service from Papakura departs 10 minutes later, however the 5:40 service remains at the same time. the 22:40 service ex Britomart is removed due to poor loadings.
- Papakura off peak services do run to a clockface timetable, however the gaps between services is no longer 15 minutes, now being 10,20,10,20. However, the Manukau and Onehunga services fill these gaps, so each line on the Loop gets a train roughly every 20 minutes.
- The first train in from West arrives at 6:00, 30 minutes before current. This train starts at Henderson however, and the first train in from Swanson no longer runs.
- Current Henderson Trains during the day are now Swanson services, those that do terminate return to Henderson Stabling empty, and vice versa.
- Ovenight SA allocations have changed. Henderson gets 6 SA’s, Britomart has no stablers, Papakura drops to 4 sets (betting this is to allow refueling), Pukekohe retains 3, Westfield keeps the remainder.
- Weekend services remain more or less as current.
Until the electric trains arrive all timetable changes are something of a ‘rearranging deck-chairs’, but it’s still disappointing that no significant improvements are proposed at the weekend. Remember that weekend trains on the Western Line still only run hourly, and on Sundays only as far as Henderson. And also remember that there are no Pukekohe trains at all on the weekend. Goodness knows why we can’t improve these things in the very near future – it’s not like we need anymore trains.